adidas boxing John William Dunne 1875
The owner a New York doctor had purchased the plane to fly into the remote Adirondack lake country to make summer house calls on his wealthy patients. The story goes that the Doc returned the plane to the factory for routine maintenance after flying it for quite some time. The factory then proceeded to make some changes to the cockpit controls without telling the doc.
He soon discovered after take off that something was drastically wrong. They had deliberately REVERSED the left and right aileron controls to correct a design defect so that the plane couldn’t accidentally drop a wing into the water when banking into a turn. The good doctor nearly crashed before figuring this out. Navy ordered six of these but most were destroyed in a fire at the factory before delivery.
Burgess Dunne 2 was bought by the Canadian Army and was Canada’s first military aircraft. The aircraft was flown by Clifford Webster to Quebec City where it was loaded onto a ship for the Atlantic crossing, but never made it intact. The ship encountered rough seas and the plane which was simply lashed to the deck and left completely assembled was destroyed.
The Burgess Dunne was built by two mathematicans. Dunne was an Englishman who designed and built planes in England.
He actually built two test aircraft. Later, a Dunne appeared in a static display at the Paris Air Show in 1915. Dunne in one his craft
Burgess was an American boat aircraft builder who had the necessary skills and manufacturing facilities to build and modify Dunne’s design. The first plane Dunne built was equipped with wheels instead of pontoons.
After Burgess acquired the rights to the Dunne aircraft design, he quickly learned that the plane was a very stable flying machine but it wanted to fly directly into the wind. It was very sensitive to cross winds and even a 10 degree off heading breeze could make for a tricky landing. It was therefore decided to make it into a sea plane so cross winds could not affect it’s landing path. Athenia for the trip to England. However, the plane was so badly damaged in transit, that it was no longer flyable.
The Burgess Dunne’s wing span was 47 feet and length was 26 feet from nose to rear floats on the wingtips. It was 11 feet, 6 inches high and had a single float mounted directly under the pilot and passenger seats. Normal cruising speed ranged from 60 to 65 miles per hour.
About the time that M. Bleriot was developing his monoplane, and Santos Dumont was astonishing the world with his flying feats at Bagatelle, a young army officer was at work far away in a secluded part of the Scottish Highlands on the model of an aeroplane. This young man was Lieutenant J. W. Dunne, and his name has since been on everyone’s lips wherever aviation is discussed. For some time the War Office helped the inventor with money, for the numerous tests and trials necessary in almost every invention before satisfactory results are achieved are very costly.
Probably the inventor did not make sufficiently rapid progress with his novel craft, for he lost the financial help and goodwill of the Government for a time; but he plodded on, and at length his plans were sufficiently advanced for him to carry on his work openly. It must be borne in mind that at the time Dunne first took up the study of aviation no one had flown in Europe, and he could therefore receive but little help from the results achieved by other pilots and constructors.
But in the autumn of 1913 Lieutenant Dunne’s novel aeroplane was the talk of both Europe and America. Innumerable trials had been made in the remote flying ground at Eastchurch, Isle of Sheppey, and the machine became so far advanced that it made a cross Channel flight from Eastchurch to Paris. It remained in France for some time, and Commander Felix, of the French Army, made many excellent flights in it. Unfortunately, however, when flying near Deauville, engine trouble compelled the officer to descend; but in making a landing in a very small field, not much larger than a tennis court, several struts of the machine were damaged. It was at once seen that the aeroplane could not possibly be flown until it had been repaired and thoroughly overhauled. To do this would take several days, especially as there were no facilities for repairing the craft near by, and to prevent anyone from making a careful examination of the aeroplane, and so discovering the secret features which had been so jealously guarded, the machine was smashed up after the engine had been removed.
At that time this was the only Dunne aeroplane in existence, but of course the plans were in the possession of the inventor, and it was an easy task to make a second machine from the same model. Two more machines were put in hand at Hendon, and a third at Eastchurch.
On 18th October, 1913, the Dunne aeroplane made its first public appearance at Hendon, in the London aerodrome, piloted by Commander Felix. The most striking distinction between this and other biplanes is that its wings or planes, instead of reaching from side to side of the engine, stretch back in the form of the letter V, with the point of the V to the front. These wings extend so far to the rear that there is no need of a tail to the machine, and the elevating plane in front can also be dispensed with.
This curious and unique design in aeroplane construction was decided upon by Lieutenant Dunne after a prolonged observation at close quarters of different birds in flight, and the inventor claims for his aeroplane that it is practically uncapsizable. Perhaps, however, this is too much to claim for any heavier than air machine; but at all events the new design certainly appears to give greater stability, and it is to be hoped that by this and other devices the progress of aviation will not in the future be so deeply tinged with tragedy.
This and the following Dunne D8 image come from an outstanding 3D website which features stereo images by Augustin Seguin (1898 1964), pilot, engineer, and amateur photographer. They have been processed as Anaglyphs (a Red/Blue composite) but, as here, are also available as mono images.
The term Anaglyph is derived from two Greek words meaning “again” and “sculpture”. The conventional method of viewing stereoscopic photographs in the last century was to use a viewer which held a pair of images, and which enabled each eye to see only one; by fusing these together a three dimensional effect was recreated.
The discovery of anaglyphic 3 D has been attributed to a French gentleman named Joseph D’Almeida, who used the technique in the 1850s to project glass stereo lantern slides. William Friese Greene created the first three dimensional anaglyphic motion pictures in 1889, which had public exhibition in 1893. Janney, journeyed to Massachusettes, immediatley closed a deal for the purchase of the Aircraft, and had it shipped to Lake Champlain where an American pilot was ready to ferry it to Canada as Janney was not a qualified pilot. Athenia.