mens adidas hoodies Former Chief Justice H L Dattu selected as chairperson of National Human Rights Commission
The former CJI will take over the position from Ju
The Government of India has selected former Chief Justice of India H L Dattu as the next chairperson of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC).
Here are some facts you must know:
1. The former CJI will take over the position from Justice C Joseph, who has been the acting chairperson since the end of the five year term of former chairperson K G Balakrishnan.
2. Dattu was selected by a committee headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The committee consisted of Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh, Rajya Sabha deputy chairman P J Kurien and Rajya Sabha Opposition leader Ghulam Nabi Azad.
3. The committee has forwarded the proposal to President Pranab Mukherjee. According to the provisions of the Protection of Human Rights Act (1993), only the President of India can appoint the chairperson and the members of the NHRC.
4. Handyala Lakshminarayanaswamy Dattu started his legal practice in 1975 in Bangalore and specialised in matters of criminal, civil, tax and constitutional cases.
5. In 1983, Dattu was appointed as the government pleader for the sales tax department at the Karnataka High Court. In 1995, he was made a judge of the Karnataka High Court.
6. In 2007, Dattu was appointed as the Chief Justice at the Chhattisgarh High Court and later at the Kerala High Court.
Watch Right Now Maharashtra: Farmers’ protest demanding loan waiver intensifies, march reaches Thane.